BRISTOL, Tenn. — A Bristol man died Friday after being shot once by an officer during an attempt to serve him with a court order from his estranged wife, according to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.

Bristol Tennessee Police Department officers arrived at a home on Crown Circle shortly before 9:30 a.m. to serve a civil court order on 46-year-old Jason Wayne Nash, according to the TBI. Crown Circle is a small road that winds through a neighborhood behind Haynesfield Park and Haynesfield Elementary School.

When the officers entered the residence with Nash’s wife, who owns the home, they were “confronted” by Nash who “reached for a gun,” according to TBI spokeswoman Leslie Earhart. He was taken to a local hospital for treatment, and five hours later TBI revealed he had died.

In the afternoon, a TBI tent was set up outside, and agents were seen going in and out of the home to collect evidence and take photos. Sullivan County District Attorney General Barry Staubus and Bristol police officers were also at the scene. The light brown house with white shutters and a picket fence was surrounded by caution tape as neighbors watched from afar.

TBI agents continue to investigate the incident at the request of Staubus. Nash’s wife hadn’t been identified by TBI late Friday evening.

The last fatal officer-involved shooting in Bristol, Tennessee, occurred on July 2, 2016, at Speedway Inn on Bluff City Highway. Jonathan Lane Justiss, 50, was shot after police said he brandished his weapon, and he later died.

Sign up for Email Alerts

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy. | 276-645-2511 | Twitter: @BHC_Lurah |

Recommended for you

Welcome to the Conversation

No name-calling, personal insults or threats. No attacks based on race, gender, ethnicity, etc. No writing with your caps lock on – it's screaming. Keep on topic and under 1,500 characters. No profanity or vulgarity. Stay G- or PG-rated.
Load comments